Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Corpse Flowers and uses for watermelon.

Ni hao!
I learned that yesterday at work. It's pretty cool, eh?

So, basically H-town has been abuzz with news of a Corpse Plant. "Corpse Plant? That sounds unhygenic! It kind of reminds me of Little Shop of Horrors, Kelsey." you say. "I know, huh?" I respond. This plant can be found at none other than *drum role* MY MUSEUM!! Okay, not "my" museum... But the museum that I work at. It's pretty awesome. Everyone that works there is very excited about it. It's pretty nerdy. My friends and I were getting really excited about it. As a matter of fact, my friend, let's call her June, and I devised a plan: Since I am just awesome, I get to leave the camp a little bit earlier than her. She instructed me to, once the clock struck 3, dart out the door and up the stairs (summer camps are held in the basement. Pretty cool, huh?), then to run down the main hall to the Butterfly Center (that's where the plant is being kept). She then instructed me to run back downstairs and tell her whether or not it reeked of rotting flesh. Oh, did I forget to mention why it's called the Corpse Plant? When it blooms, which is very rarely (this is the 2nd ever to bloom in Texas), it gives off a very strong stench... Of rotting corpses. So basically, everyone is sitting on pins and needles (that sounds painful), and wanting to get a whiff of the plant. Why? Because it's FRIGGIN' AWESOME!! Anyway, I completed the task given to me by June. I ran up the stairs and basked in the glory of the plant. But I was disappointed to find out that it had not bloomed... No rotting flesh smell for Kelsey. Or June. Or any of the good people of the museum. Sad day. I will continue to frequent the plant every day until it blooms. I will report when it does. And I will attach a stench to the computer so that you, too, may smell it's odor. That'd be pretty awesome...

Also, today I went to the party of one of my dear friends. This party was filled with "double rainbows", "snake-lizards", gongzooblers, and watermelon. My friends and I, being the good citizens we are, decided that instead of throwing away the watermelon seeds, we would return them back to Mother Earth. But simply planting them in the ground would not do. Not for us. We decided to have some fun. We decided to spit the seeds at on-coming traffic. Yes. Thinking about it now, the seeds didn't technically make it to the soil... It made it to the concrete. The asphault. So they won't really be...sprouting tiny melons. They will be...sizzling and...and dying.... Hm...
Anyway, I got to thinking, because I do that sometimes. I was thinking of possible ways that the humble watermelon could help us. Here are a few I came up with:
1) You can nom them. They are yummy, therefore, rather nommable.
2) You can use them as a stylish, biodegradable paper-weight.
3) You can use them to replace Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head. Potatoes (potatos?) are SO last month.
4) You can scoop out their delicious core and use the rind as a helmet. So fun.

Alrighty then. That's all that I got for now.

Tune in next time on: THE INTERNET!

No comments:

Post a Comment